Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A little story of God's provision....

The Oklahoma State Fair ended this past Sunday, and while we did not go this year, it reminded me of an amazing way that God showed me how much he loves me. 3 years ago, when I was a single dad, the state fair came around, and I was BROKE. And I mean BROKE. I was really struggling to make ends meet, and I had just enough money to pay for admission. I had no money to pay for food, or games, or rides. So I told Elisabeth and Tori that we would go, and that we would do all the free stuff - look at the animals in the livestock barns, the car show, made in Oklahoma building, etc. They were pretty bummed about not being able to do anything "fun" but they really had pretty good attitudes about it. So we went, and I became pretty frustrated because we got a horrible parking spot, and had to walk a LONG way. Then we were waiting in a VERY long line for tickets, and there was a very long line behind us as well. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a woman who looked to be in her 60's with a cane walking toward us. At first, I thought maybe she wanted to cut in line, so I offered for her to get in front of us so she wouldn't have to stand so long to wait for tickets. She thanked me for the offer, but said she had 3 tickets she needed to get rid of, because her grand daughters were supposed to come with her, but they were sick. So I offered to buy her tickets, but she refused to let me pay her, and said that she wanted to give them to someone who could use them. I thanked her profusely, and was very grateful for the tickets, to say the least! She left, and the girls and I got out of line. As we were walking toward the entrance, I opened the envelope with the tickets, and couldn't believe what I saw! In my hand were 3 tickets to Disney on Ice, that had cost $50 EACH! And they included admission to the fair! Needless to say, I had tears streaming down my face by then, and was just overwhelmed by God's goodness. So Elisabeth, Tori, and I got to see an incredible show, for FREE, and we even had money for snacks during the show! We went to the fair as paupers, yet because we have a Father who owns everything, and who loves us immensely, we were treated like royalty. God is truly GOOD.

1 comment:

The Lees said...

I love this story. This is so encouraging!